History & Geography
Adega Viúva Gomes, established in 1808, is located in Almoçageme, Colares, on a demarcated wine-growing region defined in 1908, characterized by its dunes and sandy soils sited on the coastline of Sintra, between the hills and the Atlantic Ocean, from Cabo da Roca until Magoito. Colares has been connected to the wine for centuries, there are registers that wine was produced in this region since the Roman Empire. After, in 1230, the King D. Afonso III, as a landlord, demanded the plantation of vines. The Colares Wine-growing Region became well known by the end of the XIX century, most precisely in 1865, when the biggest threat of wine history arrived to Europe - Phylloxera. This tiny insect, original from the American Continent, was arriving to Europe alive when trips were shortened by the introduction of steam engines in boats. Colares' vineyards were resistant to phylloxera due to roots' deepness in the sand, 8 meters in some cases, where the insect could not reach.