History & Geography
With a history spanning over 200 years, Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo occupies over 120 ha of land, and has been listed since the first demarcation of the Douro wine region, in 1756, during the Pombaline era. The original wine cellar that dates back to 1764 and the 19th century manor house with a chapel (1765) are harmoniously integrated into one of the estate's hills. Owned by the Portuguese Royal Family until 1725, it became a “new estate” when two estates were merged. Several Portuguese families lived in the estate in the 18th and 19th centuries, during an important period in the agriculture of the Douro, and gave life to the vineyards and wine, fruit orchards, water mills built along the stream that runs through the estate and the old olive grove.