Quinta de São Luiz

Located in the Douro, Quinta de S. Luiz offers a set of experiences, such as walking around the vineyards, accompanying the wine production process.

About the winery
Located in the Douro, Quinta de S. Luiz offers a set of experiences, such as walking around the vineyards, accompanying the wine production process, or participating in wine tasting sessions. Here, the visitors will have the opportunity to go through one of the several circuits to visit the Quinta or simply relax at S. Luiz Terrace, a space with an outstanding view to the Douro River.

Learn more about Quinta de São Luiz and their facilities at:

https://kopke1638.com/tourism/

Location

Tabuaço, Viseu

Opening Hours
Monday: ClosedTuesday: ClosedWednesday: ClosedThursday: ClosedFriday: ClosedSaturday: ClosedSunday: Closed
Instagram
Cellar door / shop
Yes - see more
Accommodation
No
Tastings
Yes - see more
Tours
Yes - see more
Restaurant
No
Events / Weddings
No
Languages
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
Children friendly
No
Region
Tabuaço, Viseu
Country
Portugal
Organic
No
Wines produced
Port wine, still wine
Grape varieties
Arinto, MalvasiaTinta Barroca, Tinta Cão, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional
History & Geography
The first owner of the São Luiz Estate was João Varandas between 1800 and 1830. The estate was bought by Kopke in 1922 and it was considered as one of the most luxurious, colorful and flowery of the Douro because of the bright colours it had which contrasted with the walls painted in white. Kopke is the oldest Port Wine house in the world, having been established in 1638 even before the demarcation of the Douro Valley. Its founder Christian Kopke was once the Consul of the Hanseatic League. The end of the relation of the family to the brand was in 1895 when Joachim August Kopke died. From then on, the Bohane, relatives of the Kopke, took care of the business but tried to manage it from London. With the advent of the WWII it became difficult to run the business at distance and in 1953 the firm was sold to the Barros family. It was later purchased by the Sogevinus Group in 2006 to which also belong Burmester (1750), Cálem (1859) and Barros (1913).
Submit a Review
No reviews for this vineyard yet, be the first one to leave a rating.