History & Geography
HISTORY OF THE ESTATE The beginnings of the estate were around 1166 when the land was held by Patrick Earl of Salisbury. During the 15th century, the house and estate passed to the Thorpe family of Thorpe in Surrey. Elisabeth Thorpe, a daughter of the family, inherited the estate and married a Nicholas Stanlake and from that time Hinton Pipard became known as Stanlake Park. ESTABLISHMENT OF VINEYARD The initial test area was then expanded to over 15 acres and more than 10,000 vines. Stanlake Park grows a large number of grape varieties – including Bacchus, Schönburger, Madeleine Angevine, Seyval blanc, Triomphe d'Alsace, Gewürztraminer, Ortega, Dornfelder, Siegerebbe, Optima, Pinot Grigio and the classic Champagne varieties Pinot Noir, Meunier and Chardonnay.