History & Geography
The winemaking tradition of Otazu dates back to the 12th Century when, due to its proximity to the Arga River, these lands were part of the Camino de Santiago de Compostella, which is why the Señorío de Otazu was established here with its vineyard. Later, in 1840, the winery was built, the first French-style one in Navarra located outside the urban area. This building, has been rehabilitated and turned into a wine museum and contemporary art gallery of Fundación Otazu, and has been extended with the latest winemaking, aging and bottling technologies. Architectonically speaking, its spectacular underground barrels room stands out, being internationally known as the “Wine Cathedral”. Bodega Otazu also has a Feudal Estate dating from the Middle Ages: Señorío de Otazu. It is composed of the Palace of Otazu (16th Century), Church San Esteban (12th Century) and a bird tower (14th Century).
Submit a Review