History & Geography
The land dates back to 1694 when farms, situated in the valley at the foot of what is now known as Franschhoek Mountain were given to Huguenot farmers - Rickety Bridge was once part of the original La Provence farm. Over the years these properties were subdivided and on the 13th May 1797 a quitrent grant was given in favour of the widow Paulina de Villiers, making her one of the first female landowners. Paulina de Villiers renamed the farm Paulina's drift. It is believed that Paulina was the first to plant vineyards on the estate. The estate became known as Rickety Bridge in the late 80's/ early 90's when Dr Nigel MacNaught was the owner. The old original rickety bridge which consisted mainly of sleeper wood beams was too narrow for larger vehicles. This was probably the main reason for changing and rebuilding the bridge, the concrete state, during 1996. Current owner Duncan Spence from the UK, an international business man, acquired the property in February 2000.