History & Geography
The Seigneurie des Vaults was founded in 1495, with a manor, a vineyard, an orchard and a garden. Subsequently, Seigneur des Vaults’ estate passed into the hands of various bourgeois of Angers and the Nantes shipowner: Antoine Walsh, Count of Serrant. The estate was bought in 1850 by François Claude Fourmond Desmazières, a Parisian banker, who transformed it by enlarging the 16/17th century manor and buying the land along the Boire to create the actual park. His only daughter Louise will leave the property to her husband’s best friend, the Marquis de Las Cases for his daughter: Marque de Las Cases who will become Madame du Closel (which became the name of the company). Since that day, Château des Vaults, its landscape and its vineyard are managed by the descendants of the Marquis de Las Cases: a line of winemakers. The property is currently managed by a member of the family owner Evelyne de Pontbriand.
Submit a Review