History & Geography
Created in 1741, when Jean-Baptiste Desmirail gave his name to the vineyard he received as a dowry when he married Marguerite Rauzan du Ribail, Château Desmirail remained in the Desmirail family until 1854, when it was bought by the former manager of Château Margaux. Classified 3rd growth in 1855, Château Desmirail then belonged to different owners such as a Berliner banker, and an industrialist from the North of France. Following the economic crisis of 1929 and difficult vintages, he had to sell it to Château Palmer. It belongs to the Lurton family since 1980 and Denis Lurton, the current owner since 1992, produces a typical wine of Margaux, made of delicacy and roundness. The Desmirail vineyard covers some forty hectares situated in the terroir of three villages: Margaux-Cantenac, Arsac and Soussans. 35 ha of vines are planted in the Margaux appellation and 3,5 ha in the Haut-Médoc appellation. Here, on the banks of the Gironde, the gravel plateau provides optimal natural drainage.