History & Geography
Back in the 17th century, “Vigneau de Bommes” was the original name for the vineyard, the Château, the surrounding estate and, finally, the de Vigneau family, who were the first lords of the manor. Gabriel de Vigneau is indeed mentioned in documents as early as 1635. His son, Étienne, married Jeanne Sauvage, daughter of the Lord of Yquem, and supervised the estate starting 1681. Madame de Rayne, née Catherine de Pontac, bought the Domaine du Vigneau in 1834. Thanks to her hard work, the castle reached the envied rank of Premier Grand Cru Classé (1st growth) of Sauternes during the famous classification of 1855. It is Albert de Pontac, little nephew of Madame de Rayne, who gives her name of " Rayne " to the property of Château du Vigneau. The successive owners of this respected estate have made considerable financial investments and have made tremendous effort to improve the quality of the wine. Today, the château is a true benchmark of the Sauternes appellation.