History & Geography
The character and personality of a house such as Leclerc Briant is not moulded by any ordinary people. The five successive generations of Leclercs were true innovators and are counted amongst the pioneers of organic and biodynamic viticulture in Champagne. Founded in the village of Cumières in 1872 by Lucien Leclerc, the business moved, in 1955, to the premises it still occupies today in Chemin de la Chaude Ruelle in Epernay. It was also at this time, thanks to the dynamism of Bertrand Leclerc, the great grandson of the founder, and of his wife Jacqueline Briant, that the estate-based business changed its status to that of a Maison de Négoce or trading house. In 2012 Leclerc Briant was saved from oblivion when it was acquired by Mark Nunelly and Denise Dupré, an American couple who are great enthusiasts of the French ‘art de vivre’ and who fell in love with the nonconformist character of the House.