History & Geography
The Ryrie Brothers first settled the area in 1837, driving their cattle herd south from NSW and establishing a 17,000 hectare farm on the site of Yering Station. James, Donald and William planted two varieties of grapes in 1838 but cattle was their main concern. Paul de Castella purchased the property from the Ryrie Brothers in 1850 and wine-grape production in Victoria became a growing industry. Many hectares began to be planted to wine grape varieties, under familiar labels such as Yeringberg, and St Huberts but by 1921, the Yarra Valley wine industry was in serious decline and most of the region was converted to cattle grazing pastures. In 1968, Wantirna Estate and soon after in 1969 Yarra Yering were established. This signalled a rebirth of the Yarra Valley industry and vineyards began to emerge across the region. In 2015, the region processed 1.67 million tonnes of wine grapes and had approximately 3,000 hectares under vine.