About the winery
The winery is in Luján de Cuyo, Province of Mendoza, 20 minutes from the city of Mendoza. The building is an historical landmark of Mendoza, built in 1901 by Agustin ÁLvarez, former Governor of Mendoza. Federico Benegas Lynch bought it in 1999, and made a 5 years restoration, keeping its original design, including the adobe walls and concrete pools, and adding state -of-the-art technology.
Learn more about Bodega Benegas and their facilities at:
Luján de Cuyo
History & Geography
The Benegas Family deeeply linked to the wine industry development in Argentina. For most of the 19th century, the province of Mendoza was dedicated to the production of alfalfa and wheat for the purpose of fattening the cattle brought from La Pampa by foot and destined for Chile – Argentina’s most valuable meat importer at that time. With the arrival of the railroad in 1884, the need for locally sourced alfalfa and wheat declined and Mendoza plummets into a deep economic crisis. As a result of this crisis, the budding wine industry became one of the focus of the province. And, from then on, the Benegas family name became linked to Mendoza’s wine industry. Don Tiburcio Benegas was the descendant of an illustrious Argentine family. The Treaty of Benegas, signed in 1820 at his grandfather’s farm, was the first Independence War’s peace agreement between the provinces of Buenos Aires and Santa Fe. He was twice National Senator, three times Governor of the Province of Mendoza and two times
Submit a Review